Much debate on should OpenStack support AWS APIs. Lot of emotions – lot of arguments – at some point it got hotter than annual chicken fight at a Kazhak village.
The commissioner of Cloud, Azamat had ask me to find truth of what people who use OpenStack feel about this. I commission a survey on internet – like most surveys, the response was lame – we got 100 responses.
Total responses: 100
Filtered to select only responses where they currently use OpenStack ( 26 out of 100)
- 60% of the OpenStack respondents like Unicorns over Rainbows.
- 50% of the OpenStack respondents also use AWS
- All the respondents that use OpenStack and AWS, plan to continue mixing them
- 23% of OpenStack respondents would like to see interoperability between OpenStack and AWS
- 15 % of OpenStack respondents would abandon using OpenStack if interoperability does not exist between OpenStack and AWS.
Interpretation ( aka The Truth and absolute Truth )
- AWS is important for OpenStack ecosystem
- Treating AWS as a competitor is foolish, your customers don’t share that view.
- Not having AWS interop right away is not going to severely impact OpenStack adoption – you have time to deliberate on this
- OpenStack’s biggest challenge right now is increasing adoption rate. Competing with AWS is not going to do much for you.
“Come on, make it easy to get from AWS to OpenStack. And vice versa; then plan to win on TCO/ROI & features.”
“who cares about apis. Simple abstraction libraries make that pretty much a non-issue.”
“Why would this matter? Shouldn’t the argument be about which library does (or will eventually do) the best job at abstracting both APIs? I’m curious to see how many IaaS _consumers_ actually give a damn about this debate.”
We hope you found this totally useless and helped fuel the flame.
Frequently asked questions:
Q1: Is Cloud Borat doing this survey for his personal gain?
A1: Yes, absolutely. Cloud Borat expects this survey to firmly establish him as the most thoughtful thought leader in the Cloud space. Also expect an invite from OpenStack foundation to join them as a member. Also, expecting an invitation from AWS to join their advisory board. But, these are minor gains, when compare to what Cloud Borat really wanting – he wanting to be next CEO of Microsoft and think this survey differentiate him well from others in running. He can be heard saying “Satya got nothing on me – he not know truth about OpenStack – AWS”. He also hopes this survey will make him strongest contender to lead the presidential council on Cloud computing.